Skip to main content

It was love at first sight, Host Families :)



I only knew what ‘Host Family’ was when I was in the process to departure for Arizona, USA. In my head I didn’t really understand what their role was until I communicated with my coordinator Megan Young. She introduced me and simply explained what I should expect from them. But for me, I had two so that confused me to the core hahahaha! The cool thing was I communicated with both them via email, so I was kind of used to them in a way. I knew who is who because we also exchanged pictures of their family and mine too. I remember their questionnaire asking what is it that I liked eating and I said JUNK FOOD. I had no time to eat healthy in America, I wanted to indulge in all the burgers that I have been seeing on the internet and Instagram.

The first family I met was Cindy and Scott Gemberling, like I mentioned in my previous blog post they picked me up the airport. Remember the HEAT? I was with them when I discovered that. After we left the airport we went to buy food, I said JUNK FOOD and Instagram food right? I had such a HUGE slice of pizza which I think I did not finish hahaha. I had the best time with the Gemberling Family all my lunch, dinner dates; movie dates and meeting their family on Christmas Day. I remember Cindy saying, “I thought you were quiet but I was wrong”, hahaha! I have a very innocent face. Our Wednesday dinner dates, and catching up sessions.



My second family Gary and Sharri Ward, fetched me at the Gemberling house. When I first saw them I remembered my grandparents that I left in South Africa. I felt at home instantly. We drove off to their home but first we had LUNCH more ‘JUNK FOOD’ for me hahaha. Warmly welcomed in their home, with their dog Paris. It was such a Blessing being amongst, we went to church together; lunch and dinner dates. Their grand daughter was my selfie partner, we took snapchat selfies together and videos; she was so entertaining.



Like I said in my Graduation speech, if it was possible I would’ve left a piece of my heart with each and one of them because they showed me so much love it was scary. I remember telling Megan that “Please don’t connect me with people that have too much love” and guess what? She did the total opposite. But I truly appreciated every big or small thing they did for me. For always being there for me. Making sure I am healthy, safe and happy. I shared so much with them just like they did with me. Leaving them was one of the hardest things I ever did in Arizona, and the way departure was so deep. They couldn’t even make it to the airport, but I don’t think I would’ve handled that well. They are family forever even though I don’t see them like I used to. Technology helped me so much to keep in touch and have catch up sessions with them and video call. I taught them WhatsApp, and now we communicate via WhatsApp even with the time zone slot, we now understand how and when to communicate. God Bless them for me till I meet them again. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Parents: Taking Sides :)

In continuation…. So here I was, just under 10 having to deal with a broken family that I still couldn’t stick together. You question your birth when you see your parents arguing. “Would they still be arguing if I wasn’t born”, these are actual normal questions more especially if you the only child and have no sibling to share the experience(s) with. It’s quite tricky, one minute I wanted siblings some days I didn’t. There is a saying I once heard “somethings should stay in the bedroom” and in this instinct, I WISH THAT HAPPENED. It was rather awkward at times because I had no idea what the argument was about, I think that’s why I always wanted to study Psychology (even though it didn’t happen) but I feel like I have psychology skills within me. I wanted to work around the human brain, to see and analyse how thoughts form in somebody’s mind. Where do you look when they suddenly throw tantrums at each other, smile? wave? Was I supposed to run to my mother? my father? What was

What Keeps Me Going :)

It was a Monday evening March 26 th , 2012 I took an oath that God will be the King of My heart, A Father and my sense of comfort. I was with Prayer Warriors at church and they prayed for me so much that day it was the beginning of my born-again journey. A few months after my mother’s death, I stopped going to church. I was so angry at God, I didn’t want anything to do with Him. I was that grandchild that used to attend church during Easter only, so that was once a year and for many years I did that. I never prayed, I never read the Bible, but I knew one scripture that got stuck with me till today John 3:16 “For God loved the world so much that He gave His Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him may not die but have eternal life”. I believed God existed, but I didn’t understand why would He take my mother away from me, why would He hurt me so much, did He enjoy seeing me cry at her funeral day. I was very angry, I couldn’t even describe the feeling to anyone. Years wen

A phone call that changed my life :)

“Don’t you want to Study abroad”? Is the question that changed EVERYTHING. I hesitated with my “YES” answer and honestly speaking I was not thinking clear about it at all but I left it all in God’s hands. It was 2014, I was introduced to Community College Initiative Program CCIP) funded by the Department of State. All I knew was that RAYAC (church organization for young adults in AME) was telling us about it. During that year we attended a workshop, which was explaining more about the program; all the requirements, what is needed etc. But we arrived very late, so I didn’t really get much information. Community College Initiative (CCI) Program is administered by the Community College Consortium. CCI candidates are nominated for participation by the Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy or the Fulbright Commission in eligible countries.   November 2015, same question “Don’t you want to Study abroad in America”? This time, my answer was totally different to the previ