Skip to main content

A phone call that changed my life :)




“Don’t you want to Study abroad”? Is the question that changed EVERYTHING. I hesitated with my “YES” answer and honestly speaking I was not thinking clear about it at all but I left it all in God’s hands.

It was 2014, I was introduced to Community College Initiative Program CCIP) funded by the Department of State. All I knew was that RAYAC (church organization for young adults in AME) was telling us about it. During that year we attended a workshop, which was explaining more about the program; all the requirements, what is needed etc. But we arrived very late, so I didn’t really get much information. Community College Initiative (CCI) Program is administered by the Community College Consortium. CCI candidates are nominated for participation by the Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy or the Fulbright Commission in eligible countries.  

November 2015, same question “Don’t you want to Study abroad in America”? This time, my answer was totally different to the previous year and here is why. When we went to the 2014 Workshop, I was very intimidated by the crowd that was there, I immediately told myself that “nope, I will not qualify. I am not the type they would be looking for”, so since that day I was very unhesitant to apply for such programs. So, when I answered I was very doubtful about. When the applications were out mid-November 2015, I asked for them. I told my family in passing, but I am sure none of us took what I said into consideration. Because I had many doubts, and so much fear; I made sure I get help throughout the process of applying. I sat down with Koke, communicated through email with Thabang, communicated via whatsapp with Rev Makhubo even with three people helping me I still did not believe in myself. My Reference was Dr. Rev Phakoe, she said a prayer for my application. Fast forward to the DUE DATE, December 11, 2015…. I was scared, I doubled, tripled checked every single detail to check if was it correct. While I was a applying I remember having just a little conversation with God ‘Let your will be DONE’. During those December holidays, I had moments where I was thinking about the application; was it good enough? Is it what they expected? I think I was losing it a bit. I didn’t talk about it to anybody, I just kept it a little secret; only a handful knew about the process.

I remember at work I was logging into my emails January 7th, 2016 “Dear Kgothatso, Thank you for applying for the Community College Initiative Program. We would like to invite you for an interview as the next step in the process”. I froze and read that email more than twice. I could not believe what I was seeing. I was not sure if should I be scared, excited, cry hahaha. I really did not understand what was happening to myself. From that email, I started to take it seriously. Preparing for this interview was stressful; because I don’t like interviews I was in total panic mode. I got a lot of support, people telling me “don’t worry you going to nail it”. Of course, they had to say such good words LOL. I made sure that I stayed at home the day before the interview, I just had to prepare myself emotionally and during the day God sent the best visitors. Rev Massiah and His wife; I swear that was God peaking from that day. They prayed and I became at ease. The next day was the interview, I didn’t want to eat. Didn’t want to interfere with my nerves. My interview was at 15:30pm, but knowing me (panic freak) I was in Sandton by 13:00pm hahahah (better be early though). I took a stroll around Sandton City, I had a very calm feeling while walking around the mall. I was able to speak to my intuitions (moment of silent). All I can say is, IT WAS ONE OF THE BEST INTERVIEWS.

January 22, 2016 another email popped “Dear Kgothatso, Thank you for coming to the CCIP Interview last week. As the next step in the process we’d like to invite you to come write an English Language Proficiency Test early in February 2016”. I was very excited at that moment while reading the email. I read twice, to understand if am I reading the correct things and is this real hahaha. The Test was on a Friday, at 09:00am; meaning I was out the house by 06:30 (just so I can be on time, sometimes Traffic can so jealous you just never know). I was well prepared up ready to write. Everything went well! After the exam, made three new friends; Kgaogelo, Juliet and Millicent. We had lunch at McDonalds and it was a breeze to have people that understand your nerve racking moment with applying. Hahahaha. Funny how we never exchanged contacts that day, but we kept saying “see you in America” hahahah. Fast forward to May. After the Test we had to wait for an email in May 2016, that would say if you are through or not. February-May 2016 was probably the worst moments of that year. I was confused, I wanted to have positive thoughts but also had that “what if I don’t go through? But its okay”. I kept it cool!

It was a Wednesday, just before lunch (May 18, 2016). I received a call from US Embassy Consulate in South Africa (thanks to true caller I was able to see who was calling me), when I saw the call I wanted to dig a hole and hide. I was very scared to answer. It rang for like 20 seconds, but it really felt long. Here I was eager to find out “Am I in or not”. I don’t want to lie, waiting for a phone to tell you if you made it or not (in whatever you applied for) has to one of the scariest moments ever. BACK TO THE PHONE CALL. “Hello Kgothatso?” “Hello, Yes Speaking”, that moment I lost my breathe already, I couldn’t handle it anymore. “I am calling from the US Consulate in Sandton to tell you that you made it through to the Final CCIP Participants for 2016/17”. I lost it (in my heart though), I asked her to repeat and she did. Tear drop, streaming down my cheeks. I said “Oh Lord what have I done to deserve such LOVE”. I sang a song in my heart “ O, mohua wa Molimo ke kwetsa e kaakang!”, I was just done for the day because I was very speechless. I ran to tell my colleagues, I wasn’t sure if was I excited or what was happening. I called my granny and that is where I lost it, she cried on the phone. I called my family and told them the good news, to start preparing my departure hahaha. Communicated with my best friend, and everyone who was with me during the preparations of applying for the program, they truly were the best candidates to push and help me, I will never stop thanking them. After then, I couldn’t wait to get home and see my granny. I was so excited for knock off time, HAHAHA felt like I was walking on air!

When I got home, my granny and I started sing the same song I sang “O mohua wa Molimo ke kwetsa e kaakang! Na, esale o mphihlela, Ke maketse feela”, that song has so much meaning especially when you were once lost in life. Growing up under such a strong, God fearless woman has kept me alive. We sang till we eventually slept.

It all began with just a simple question “Don’t you want to study abroad”. The little Faith I lived by during the steps, helped me. Hebrews 11:1 “To have Faith is to be sure of the things we hope for, to be certain of the things we cannot see”.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Parents: Taking Sides :)

In continuation…. So here I was, just under 10 having to deal with a broken family that I still couldn’t stick together. You question your birth when you see your parents arguing. “Would they still be arguing if I wasn’t born”, these are actual normal questions more especially if you the only child and have no sibling to share the experience(s) with. It’s quite tricky, one minute I wanted siblings some days I didn’t. There is a saying I once heard “somethings should stay in the bedroom” and in this instinct, I WISH THAT HAPPENED. It was rather awkward at times because I had no idea what the argument was about, I think that’s why I always wanted to study Psychology (even though it didn’t happen) but I feel like I have psychology skills within me. I wanted to work around the human brain, to see and analyse how thoughts form in somebody’s mind. Where do you look when they suddenly throw tantrums at each other, smile? wave? Was I supposed to run to my mother? my father? What was

An experience I will never forget :)

I was fortunate enough like I mentioned in my previous post, the opportunity to participate in an exchange program for a year 2016/17 called Community College Initiative Program. In my life, I never imagined myself flying all the way to the United States of America, more especially to LIVE there. I am about to share my experience and what I got up to throughout the year. When I received my flight ticket, I was in the car with my Granny, Aunt and Cousins. It had said 15 July 2016 was the day I will be leaving South Africa, my friends and family. The day I will be wearing my ‘big girl panties’ and being an adult with responsibilities. The packing was half way done, buying all necessary items bit by bit, but the flight ticket made it surreal. That was when I told myself “Girl, there is no turning back you about to change your life”. It was nerve racking because remember, I don’t know nobody in the US and I am leaving all by myself (even though I made a friend whom I will be tr

What Keeps Me Going :)

It was a Monday evening March 26 th , 2012 I took an oath that God will be the King of My heart, A Father and my sense of comfort. I was with Prayer Warriors at church and they prayed for me so much that day it was the beginning of my born-again journey. A few months after my mother’s death, I stopped going to church. I was so angry at God, I didn’t want anything to do with Him. I was that grandchild that used to attend church during Easter only, so that was once a year and for many years I did that. I never prayed, I never read the Bible, but I knew one scripture that got stuck with me till today John 3:16 “For God loved the world so much that He gave His Only Son, so that everyone who believes in Him may not die but have eternal life”. I believed God existed, but I didn’t understand why would He take my mother away from me, why would He hurt me so much, did He enjoy seeing me cry at her funeral day. I was very angry, I couldn’t even describe the feeling to anyone. Years wen