Skip to main content

Roommates Chronicles :)





I went to the United States, Arizona knowing I will be sharing an apartment with three (3) other ladies. I prayed to share a room and a house with people that are fun, cool, social, out-going, like ones that would just get me and vice versa. You know how crazy it is to share a room with just GIRLS, hahahaha so I prayed before that ‘God please intervene, I’m very particular can they just understand my weird vibes and can we click’.
I remember it was a Monday morning, first day of “school/orientation week”. I couldn’t stop searching with my eyes to whom I will share a room with. It was also part of a task our Coordinator gave us, so I had already begun first day, hahaha. I knew that I was not going to share a room with Neo, she was from South Africa. We met on facebook few weeks before we went to Arizona, USA. So, I had work to do. It was not easy, because we needed to remember that we are stuck with that person for a year, so I needed to have the “perfect person”.

Olivia Aboui – She came few days after all of us (International CCI Students). I remember my first impression of her “This one doesn’t take nonsense” hahahaha. We were given a task of finally picking our roommates and housemates, she got straight to the point, “Hi KG, our questionnaire answers are very similar I think we match”. I did not hesitate, but I agreed and said YES, we can share a room. It was a very quick negotiation between us and everything was set. Hey, I had a very interesting journey with Olivia, this girl was a handful. When we moved into our apartment, we had the best room (if I could just brag a bit). It was spacious and well fitted for the both of us. We had our moments of course, it’s quite normal. We fought and gave each other space and then we made up. She was the funniest in our house, her crazy scary stories man I was always dead with laughter. Our music sessions, old skool, RnB. She couldn’t believe the type of music I listened too, “I have an old soul”, is what I used to tell her. I remember one time, she was on the phone speaking her home-language (French). While she was on the phone, I really thought she was having an argument with whoever she was on the phone with. It sounded so scary, only to find out that is how she speaks. Hahaha I really thought French was sexy hahaha, Olivia proved it wrong. Other days she would wake me up with her snoring, days when I wanted to hit her so bad cause I couldn’t sleep. I got used to most of her crazy moments. I always apologized when I left my side of the room in a mess, she didn’t mind at all. For a first time roommate, she was by far the best. I thank God for knowing her, being in her atmosphere and getting to know her. She always reminded me about PRAYER. When days where hard she would remind me HOW BIG GOD IS. We still keep in-touch all thanks to technology.

Sushma Darshanala- We met the first time at Our CCI Cohort welcome party. She was so tiny and cute. I didn’t know she was part of the CCI International Students until she introduced herself, “Hi everyone, my name is Sushma Darshanala from India”(with her head shaking). During our Orientation Week, I loved just being around her, man she was just so adorable. The Orientation Week was held in the Turquois Room, a very cold room. So, she was my “pull a jacket or jersey” partner. We had a yellow coat we used to share when we were feeling cold. The sweetest but very feisty. She was always cooking for the boys, I couldn’t eat her food because they were HOT! Not just HOT, very HOT! You can literally smell the spice from down stairs. Funny how she could cook for hours and hours but never used ate the food she cooked. I thought I loved spending money, but everyday Sushma would be buying groceries and she would always complain hahahaha. We called each other “BESTIE” my cute lil Indian Best Friend. She was very fragile until she started gaining weight. The Sushma I met in July 2016 to the Sushma that I left with May 2017, totally two different people.

Neo Makgetla – This girl, this girl. Hahahaha! Can I just tell you how we met, through facebook messenger and straight on to whatsapp. Before we left we shared a little bit about ourselves, where we from? What will we be studying in the US etc. We clicked from there. We traveled together to the US, and we got separated at the Harbor Airport in Phoenix. I didn’t know where she went, but all I know is we were separated by our host families. We also became housemates, how crazy was that hahaha. That was another reason why I did not forget my mother tongue because I had her with me. I still say, she was heaven sent on the reals. I don’t know how to thank her but this God Fearing, crazy, stubborn, funny, outgoing, strong woman. We had our moments too, where homegirl and I did not agree to the same things. Its normal! I remember when she cooked pap, liver & tomato gravy guys she took my soul back at home that day. I believe this friendship was just in God’s books, we just had to meet somehow and we met at OR Tambo International Airport #TravelBuddy. We had the time of our lives though, Terrible twins. People used to confuse our names and our characters until they finally got who is who. We still close.


For having to live with total strangers, I think I did a pretty good job (pat on the back). We are a family now. We had fun our home was the “party house”. I can never forget apartment 219 #ForeverInMyHeart. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Parents: Taking Sides :)

In continuation…. So here I was, just under 10 having to deal with a broken family that I still couldn’t stick together. You question your birth when you see your parents arguing. “Would they still be arguing if I wasn’t born”, these are actual normal questions more especially if you the only child and have no sibling to share the experience(s) with. It’s quite tricky, one minute I wanted siblings some days I didn’t. There is a saying I once heard “somethings should stay in the bedroom” and in this instinct, I WISH THAT HAPPENED. It was rather awkward at times because I had no idea what the argument was about, I think that’s why I always wanted to study Psychology (even though it didn’t happen) but I feel like I have psychology skills within me. I wanted to work around the human brain, to see and analyse how thoughts form in somebody’s mind. Where do you look when they suddenly throw tantrums at each other, smile? wave? Was I supposed to run to my mother? my father? What was

An experience I will never forget :)

I was fortunate enough like I mentioned in my previous post, the opportunity to participate in an exchange program for a year 2016/17 called Community College Initiative Program. In my life, I never imagined myself flying all the way to the United States of America, more especially to LIVE there. I am about to share my experience and what I got up to throughout the year. When I received my flight ticket, I was in the car with my Granny, Aunt and Cousins. It had said 15 July 2016 was the day I will be leaving South Africa, my friends and family. The day I will be wearing my ‘big girl panties’ and being an adult with responsibilities. The packing was half way done, buying all necessary items bit by bit, but the flight ticket made it surreal. That was when I told myself “Girl, there is no turning back you about to change your life”. It was nerve racking because remember, I don’t know nobody in the US and I am leaving all by myself (even though I made a friend whom I will be tr

A phone call that changed my life :)

“Don’t you want to Study abroad”? Is the question that changed EVERYTHING. I hesitated with my “YES” answer and honestly speaking I was not thinking clear about it at all but I left it all in God’s hands. It was 2014, I was introduced to Community College Initiative Program CCIP) funded by the Department of State. All I knew was that RAYAC (church organization for young adults in AME) was telling us about it. During that year we attended a workshop, which was explaining more about the program; all the requirements, what is needed etc. But we arrived very late, so I didn’t really get much information. Community College Initiative (CCI) Program is administered by the Community College Consortium. CCI candidates are nominated for participation by the Public Affairs Section of the U.S. Embassy or the Fulbright Commission in eligible countries.   November 2015, same question “Don’t you want to Study abroad in America”? This time, my answer was totally different to the previ